Hollow Earth is currently playing:
We are an online (streaming only) diy radio operating out of an
attic public space in Seattle's Central District. We feature found sound, field recordings, story-telling, dream-collecting, radio plays, live house shows, local in-home performances and content given to us BY YOU. We support local and northwest music and other underground music from around the world. We broadcast 24 HOURS A DAY everyday.
Program Description: Everything that's not music. We'll play a new mix of non-musical content every week!
Posted By Morgan on 01/15/2013 at 07:41PM
Get ready for a wild experience with sound and language!
Rae Diamond performs her essay "Three Songs," about a musician's experience of sound, with esteemed vocalist Jessika Kenney. This marks the third reading in the series, the first essay produced, and the first public reading by Diamond.
Join us at Hollow Earth Radio, 2018 A. East Union St., or tune in online, on Wednesday, January 16, at 6 pm PST.
More on Rae Diamond: Diamond, once a hard core punk who drifted on freight trains, studied composition at The Evergreen State College and has performed her work nationally. She publishes zines annually through San Francisco's Love Bunni Press. http://raediamond.com/home.html
More on Jessika Kenney: http://jessikakenney.com/index.php?p=Home&l=en
More on this event: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Event?event=15675113
Posted By DJ Garrett on 01/11/2013 at 07:32PM
Hey folks! I've scored a righteous showcase of new works soon to be released on experimental cassette label 'Alterity 101'.
Curated by the infamous Kurt Alterity, we'll be hearing works from the upcoming first releases by R Millis (Climax Golden Twins & Sublime Frequencies)!
From Rob: "I am generally my own worst scavenger. Compositions get re-worked and recycled with alarming frequency. "AK Duet" was put together from various officially released Climax Golden and r millis solo sources (exactly which ones would be telling) for choreography by Aiko Kinoshita for a dance piece entitled "Little Hungers" that premiered in Seattle in 2011. "Murung Field Wreck" is a series of field recordings made in various Asian locations remixed with a piece that will appear or already has appeared (depending on which universe you are in) on an r millis solo LP called "Relief" on the Helen Scarsdale label. "Orchlabreapourmoi" is a mix of several unmentionable Climax, stolen and solo sources. "Drift Away" was composed for a short film by Jean Julien Pous called…Drift Away. This is a slight re-working of the original composition. Most of these pieces were created for use in live performances."
The tape will not be released for a couple months. This will be the public's first chance to hear it. After that we will hear tapes of upcoming Alterity 101 contributors past works with a few surprises... Kurt told me he's bringing a bunch of cassette decks, things should get weird!
TUNE IN at 8pm this Sunday, Jan 13 for the mind bender!
Posted By Domenica on 01/09/2013 at 08:25PM
What is Low Power FM? A User's Guide.
According to Wikipedia, "Low Power FM, or LPFM is a form of FM Broadcasting that uses a low amount of energy to broadcast a signal that does not travel very far. FM, or frequency modulation radio is often transmitted on a higher frequency than AM radio. Because of the low power usage and short range, LPFM is often seen as a niche radio station that plays things that relate more to the small surrounding community."
Low Power FM radio stations are generally community radio stations, and dispense information relevant to the surrounding geographical area that you wouldn't hear on High Power FM Stations. LPFM stations do the following, according to Freepress.net:
- It strengthens community identity.
- It creates an outlet for amateur musicians to get their music heard.
- It creates diversity on the air because women and racial minorities are represented.
- It creates an opportunity for young people, especially college students, who are interested in radio to learn about the business.
- It provides farmers with up to date agricultural information.
Want to learn more about the potential for a LPFM community station in Seattle or your community?
There will be an information session on how to apply for a LPFM license in Seattle on Thursday, January 24th at the Langston Hughes Cultural Center at 1 p.m. To RSVP: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/302076
Posted By DJ Young Prince S on 01/11/2013 at 07:02PM
On Friday, January 11th Hollow Earth Radio teams up with burgeoning local label CTPak Records to showcase local music and art.
CTPak Records is both a record label and an artist collective, working to push innovative electronic music and forward thinking visual art through releases, concerts, and gallery showings.
Visual artists Madeline Franks and Michael Heck will display their work, which is available here
The show is all ages with a suggested $5 donation.
Posted By e_j_buster on 01/01/2013 at 03:00AM
Albums, EPs, and live performances:
- Death By Misadventure - The Green Pajamas (Green Monkey Records)
- Lonerism - Tame Impala (Modular)
- Dead Air - Atomic Bride
- Santee- Live at Hollow Earth Radio 5-26-12. (Santee doesn’t have an official album out yet, but they have a full album’s worth of great songs. You can find their awesome 5-26-12 Hollow Earth Radio live set in the podcast pages.)
- A Voice Hears You From Mysterious Places - Marianne Nowottny and Barry Schwabsky (Abaton Book Company)
- Static - Tiny Knives (Stankhouse Records)
- 1 Outta 6 Ain't Bad (When I Still Loved You) - Sip's Odyssey
- Special Explosion!
- Awe Naturale - THEESatisfaction (Sub Pop)
- Adult Soft Record - Rusty Willoughby
- Nod and the Hobgoblins (Lost Sound Tapes)
- Danzig In The Moonlight - Ken Stringfellow (Spark and Shine)
- Spectral Disorder - Black Hat (Debacle Records)
- Apocalypse Dreams - Tame Impala
- What You Give - Rusty Willoughby
- Jesus Was An Only Child - Ken Stringfellow
- Curse The Night - The Raveonettes
- Sweat - THEESatisfaction
- This Is How It Goes - Cory Chisel & The Wandering Sons
- Song 4 of 8 Live at Hollow Earth Radio 5-26-12 - Santee
- Miranda - Marianne Nowottny & Barry Schwabsky
- Tomato Kitty - Special Explosion
- You Can't Look - The Green Pajamas
- Pine Bender - Nod and the Hobgoblins
- Endors Toi - Tame Impala
Konspiracy Korner airs every Thursday night from 9 to 11 PST.